Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The 'Soccket' Powers the Lights after Playing Soccer

Powering the future: Kick a ball, switch on a light
3 July 2013 - 2.6 billion people around the world currently live without reliable electricity; the majority of those in developing countries, according to a 2012 report by the International Energy Agency.

And once night falls, the lack of options means most either turn to batteries, which have to be charged and are costly to purchase; kerosene, and the dangers that come with it; or live in the darkness.

"Regardless of your socioeconomic status in Nigeria, several times a day you can expect to lose power... .And I think for me, it really hit a point of frustration I recall at my aunt's wedding, and that day we lost power and outside of my aunt's house we had a diesel generator running and I remember feeling like I was choking," said Jessica O. Matthews, CEO of Uncharted Play.

"It wasn't the fact that everyone was experiencing this which was so unsettling but the fact that everyone was so complacent, so used to it and they had no feeling or belief that they could do something to change the situation," she added. read more>>>


No comments:

Post a Comment